It’s hard to be believe that our 50th anniversary conference is less than a week away! The conference committee is working like mad getting last minute preparations ready for you. We will be sending out an email with logistics soon, but for now, I wanted to share with you some items I’m excited about is swag that available for purchase and for free that attendees can receive.
TASFAA 50th Anniversary Pins
Special 50th Anniversary pins will be available at check in.
TASFAA 50th Anniversary T-shirts for Sale (benefiting Mack C. Adams Scholarship)
Purchase a shirt for $10! Limited supplies so come ready to pay at check in by cash or card!
Looking forward to seeing you next week!
By Joan Berkes, NASFAA Policy & Federal Relations Staff
A bill to ease certain student aid rules for victims of the recent hurricanes has passed both chambers of Congress and awaits a presidential signature for enactment. The Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria Education Relief Act of 2017 includes the following provisions:
- The institutional match for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) and federal work-study (FWS) is waived for award year 2016-17 and award year 2017-18, for any institution located in a presidentially-declared disaster or emergency area affected by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, or Maria, in either hurricane or tropical storm phase. Information will likely be needed from the Department of Education (ED) to determine the disposition of matching funds already contributed and disbursed for award year 2016-17. Presumably, funds carried forward from award year 2016-17 to award year 2017-18 would be encompassed by the waiver.
- The institutional match for FSEOG and FWS may be waived at ED’s discretion, for an institution not located in an affected area, in which affected students enroll. Affected students are those who, on August 25, 2017, either were enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an institution located in an affected area, or are dependent students with a parent who resided in or was employed in an affected area. Affected students also include those who suffered direct economic hardship as a result of one of the storms. ED must consider the institution’s student population and resources in making its waiver decision.
- The bill directs ED to reallocate released award year 2016-17 FSEOG and FWS funds to institutions that are located in an affected area or that enroll students affected by the storms. Institutions located in affected areas will receive priority. The form to release unused award year 2016-17 funds and to apply for award year 2017-18 supplemental funds (based on community service employment for FWS) was due in August. However, ED posted an Electronic Announcement on September 29 about that process in light of hurricane disaster relief. ED has reallocated supplemental FSEOG funds to schools directly affected by the 2017 hurricanes, and strongly encourages schools to award FSEOG funds to needy students who are directly affected by the hurricanes. ED is reviewing the reallocation process for FWS funds, and will provide additional information as soon as possible.
- FSEOG and FWS funds that would normally expire on September 30, 2017, will remain available for expenditure for one extra year.
Publication Date: 10/2/2017
Used/reprinted with permission from NASFAA
Limited Supplies of 50th Anniversary T-Shirt for Sale at Conference for $10
9 days. I can’t believe we kick off our 50th anniversary conference in only 9 days. Wow.
I hope you’re excited about attending the conference (I sure am). The conference is not just about incredible sessions and connecting with colleagues, it’s also about giving back. While our service project is helping the San Antonio Food Bank, we also have an opportunity to support the Mack C. Adams professional development scholarship.
The Mack C. Adams scholarship helps schools send staff to training and professional development that otherwise may not have been able to afford it. We have 2 ways to support the Mack C. Adams scholarship fund:
- Attend Morning Stretch for $10 on Thursday morning
- Buy a special edition 50th Anniversary t-shirt for $10
Buy a t-shirt at check in on Wednesday with either credit card or cash. Only $10!
This t-shirt will be a soft pre-shrunk cotton t-shirt with our 50th anniversary logo. We invite you to wear it to our Thursday night party (if you don’t already have your fabulous 80s costume ready to go). Show your love of TASFAA by buying a shirt at check-in on Wednesday morning. T-shirt numbers are limited, so be sure to buy one on Wednesday. You can pay either using cash or by credit card. Not coming, but still want a shirt? Ask a coworker to snag you one!
You’ll see me wearing this lovely shirt at the conference! Can’t wait to see all of you next week.
Erika Cox, Conference Chair
The University of Texas at San Antonio
Director, One Stop Enrollment Center